search archive
browse archive Up

Elementary schools

Object Type: Folder
In Folder: Public Schools



Title
Description
Date

Photographs documenting Barker Elementary from the Austin Files collection

Photographs documenting Becker Elementary School from the Austin Files collection

Photographs documenting Bickler Elementary School from the Austin Files collection

Photographs documenting Blackshear Elementary School from the Austin Files collection

Photographs documenting Brackenridge Elementary from the Austin Files collection

Photographs of Brentwood Elementary School from the Austin Files collection

Photographs documenting Bryker Woods Elementary School from the Austin Files collection

Clarksville Elementary School from the Austin Files collection

Photographs documenting Cook Elementary School from the Austin Files collection

Photographs documenting Dill Elementary School from the Austin Files collection

Photographs documenting Doss Elementary School from the Austin Files collection

Photographs documenting East Austin Elementary School from the Austin Files collection

Photographs documenting Fulmore Elementary School from the Austin Files collection

Photographs documenting unidentified Austin area elementary schools from the Austin Files collection

Photographs documenting Govalle Elementary School from the Austin Files collection

Photographs documenting Gregorytown Elementary School from the Austin Files collection

Photographs documenting Gullett Elementary School from the Austin Files collection

Photographs documenting Highland Elementary School from the Austin Files collection

Photographs documenting Lee Elementary School from the Austin Files collection

Photographs documenting Mathews Elementary School from the Austin Files collection

Photographs documenting Metz Elementary School from the Austin Files collection

Photographs documenting the Palm School from the Austin Files collection. The building is best known as the elementary school that stood in service to the communities of East Austin for 84 years before closing in 1976. Palm School, founded in 1892, was one of the first elementary schools in Austin, predated only by Pease Elementary School.

Photographs documenting Pease Elementary School from the Austin Files collection. The school, originally the Austin Graded School House under the Austin Public Free Schools, opened in 1876-the same year Texas adopted its current constitution. Pease is the state's longest continually operating public school. The school, which was the first school in Austin to be built entirely from public funds, also was the only public school in the city for a number of years. While it has had a number of renovations and additions over the years, as well as a few name changes.

Photographs documenting the Sims Elementary School from the Austin Files collection

Photographs documenting St. Elmo Elementary School in Austin, Texas from the Austin Files collection. The original St. Elmo community was located near the present site of Pleasant Hill in the St. Elmo School District which was established in 1914. The first school was located at what is currently the 4700 block of South First Street. The building was a one-room, unpainted frame building. One teacher taught 50 to 60 students, ranging in age from 7 to 24 years. In 1906, the building had no windowpanes and was surrounded by a wooded area and a few houses. During the period of 1915 to 1920, the enrollment was between 50 and 75. A fire occurred at 1:55 a.m. on September 18, 1928. The American Statesman reported that a tall chimney tower and a mass of hot ashes were all that remained of the St. Elmo school building. The Austin city limits were extended to include the St. Elmo community in 1937 and the school became part of the Austin city school system. The St. Elmo Elementary that now exists opened its doors on September 6, 1960, with Mr. T.R. Huey as principal and Mrs. Jewel Hage as assistant principal. The school housed grades first through sixth, and there were 248 students enrolled. A dedication of the new building was held on September 19, 1960.

Loading indicator
Powered by Preservica
© Copyright 2022, Austin History Center, Austin Public Library